Rules & Etiquette
Thank you for being part of the Destinations International Online Community. To ensure the best possible experience for all community members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
What is the Online Community?
It is a community for Destinations International members and partners to engage in discussion and seek and receive feedback and resources from other professional peers in the travel and tourism promotion industry. We encourage members to come prepared to share successes, challenges, provide constructive feedback, bring questions, and provide perspective in all manners related to destination marketing and management.
Members are asked to agree to follow the below rules and etiquette to ensure the Community remains an open space to discuss relevant issues and topics. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both positive and collaborative dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
Access to the Community Groups
- Access to the Online Community is an exclusive benefit of membership or partnership with Destinations International.
- Destination organizations, tourism boards, state associations and other not-for-profit tourism promotion entities have full access to all general discussions and destination organization groups.
- Partners, business members and for-profit companies have the following access permissions:
- Full access to all General Discussion groups
- Full access to Event Impact Calculator groups
- Full access to any Event or Committee group to which that individual has an active registration within the Destinations International database of record
- No access to any group created for the exclusive purpose of Destination Organization discussion
- Don’t attack others. The discussions in the Community are meant to stimulate conversation, not to create contention. All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited.
- Don't post solicitation for services or other commercial messages. Members who post content that is explicitly commercial in nature will be given a written warning and their offending post(s) will be removed. Additional infractions will result in removal from the Community.
- Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you. Assume that any posted content is visible to the public, even in access-restricted discussion groups.
- Respect intellectual property. Only post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- Destinations International reserves the right to reproduce post content on other channels and mediums, including but not limited to websites, emails, blogs, social media and videos.
- Be courteous. Please ask participants for permission to republish their words elsewhere (especially if elsewhere would be a publicly viewable setting).
- When citing Community discussions, please include a link back to the original discussion or to the Community homepage.
- Transparency is very important in gaining trust in online relationships, therefore be clear who you are and who you work for when posting on any platform.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list.
- Questions, comments or concerns about the Community can be forwarded directly to Destinations International staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of Destinations International. Destinations International is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by Destinations International or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall Destinations International be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants Destinations International and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
Destinations International does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of Destinations International we will take all appropriate action.
Destinations International reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site:
We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page.